Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

We Can Only Hope

In looking at my list of posts, I think I've done quite well with maintaining my general theme of nothing in particular. Today, I'm going to do something completely random, and talk about something serious. Heck, I might even throw some Bible verses in here (also, I probably shouldn't use heck and Bible verses in the same sentence). Anywho, my subject today is hope.

So, I sat down with a friend for coffee the other day. Now, this is a different friend than Dating 101. I apparently need to name these coffee friends in order to keep them straight. For anonymity purposes, I shall name this friend Chesterfeld Whittington, but I'll call him Travis for short. Anyways, Travis came in from out of town for a couple days in between spring and summer classes at the university he attends. We've been friends since Chesterfeld was just a wee little freshman in high school, so it's always nice being able to catch up. Now, coming back from that tangent, Travis said something that really stuck with me about the atmosphere of the town. He was only back for a day or so and he already felt how burdened people were. I thought about it, and could relate to the feeling, because, well, I live here. Long after my Earl Grey was no longer palatable, this conversation still nagged at me. Why do we feel this way?

Later that night, it came to me...we are HOPELESS! Also, we have nowhere to wear our pretty dresses to, but mostly the hopeless. And by hopeless, I mean devoid of hope. Hope being the expectancy or belief that something we desire will happen. Devoid being to not possess or have been stripped of something. Initiating scripture insert....now:

Proverbs 13:12 - Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.

Now, here comes the pot calling the kettle black. Our biggest hope cannot be that it's sunny outside tomorrow. Or that someone else will cook dinner tonight. How can we be satisfied with our fulfilled longings when we've set our standards so small? (1 Corinthians 15:19,22 below) Now, let me set this straight, I DO hope it's sunny tomorrow, cause my hair is straight and I left my umbrella in the car, but my hope is in the Lord. (This is where I expect Wendi or Kayla to say, mmmhmmm Preach it sista!). Anyway, I'll wrap this up with more scriptures because my attention span it shortening the later it gets. Took me ten minutes to finish that sentence because I had to stop and think about the bruise on my leg. Here's my string of pearls (for those of you who were paying attention at church on Sunday):

Romans 8:24-25 - For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

Isaiah 40:31 - But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

1 Corinthians 15:19,22 - If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men...For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

Psalms 42:5 - Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

Psalm 62:4 - Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment